Here I am sitting on a sofa, sipping a bottle of Shiner and watching Django: Unchained, with all the hopes, excitement, and worries dangling on back of my head. First time in Central America, first time without an tourist-agenda, first ever to be in the rainforest and coral reef. This trip to Belize will be a challenge and a great opportunity. Venturing among the rainforest and reefs, getting the idea of field biology which I aspire as my career. This trip will be an opportunity for me to see if I am fit for field biology. The best outcome of this trip would be finding myself liking field biology over all things.

I can’t say I have done any exceptional preparation beyond what is expected. But even from that preparation I learned quite a bit about the rainforest. I researched about the delicate state of the rainforest and the soil which it is supported on. I researched about the ants and brown algae. I am hoping that these will stay in my mind while the trip in Belize and help others identify them.

My biggest worry is indeed about my safety. As naturalĀ rainforest and coral reefs are as dangerous they could be. Malaria, rabies, venomous snakes and what not, I pray I come home in one piece.

Well, only 12 hours before I head for IAH. My luggage are packed, and I will finish the movie and go to bed, gearing myself to mindset of a traveler and a scientist.