Day 9: Oooooo- BARRACUDA!

We went to the zoo this morning and I saw a harpy eagle, a jaguarondi, howler monkeys and more- so basically most of the animals that were asleep during the night tour. I think the cat I saw yesterday at Las Cuevas might have been a jaguarondi but I am not sure at all.

We made it to the reef today! The boat road was a little less than three hours and for the most part was pretty smooth. Once we reached the reef crest the water was clear and we could see the bottom as it shallowed out. As soon as we finished orientation we geared up and got in the water.

We stayed pretty close to shore, snorkeling above a patch reef and a section of sea grass. I saw a lobster and a barracuda on the patch reef. The barracuda wasn’t very large yet, probably a foot or just over. I also saw a spotted ray in the sea grass. I did not see any anemones, zoanthids or corallimorphs. I think the problem was just not having very much time to look and also trying to work out the kinks in my gear. We will be on the reef much more tomorrow and the next days so I am sure I will see some.DSCN0143