Day 3- I ITCH EVERYWHERE

Day 3, and I have learned that bugs hate me and that fire coral is mean.  I think I jinxed myself by saying I did not have any bug bites because now I am covered.  Plus I bumped some fire coral so my rear is itchy and hurts, making fire coral my least favorite coral.  Pseudodiploria labrinthiformis is easily my favorite though and I have been finding and identifying it!

Back in the world of crabs, I have stopped getting overly excited over land hermit crabs now.  I counted 213 of those little guys just today.  There is one part of the trail that is just land hermit crabs (184 in one place).  They seem to be very spotty on the island as to where they are most found.  We tried to quantify their per square meter space on the island using quadrants and a transact, but it resulted in very little crabs and brac holes being recorded when in actuality they are everywhere.

Mangrove crab on a pillar camouflaged at Middle Caye

I also saw a mangrove crab today on the pillar of the dock.  It was camouflaged above a bunch of algae.  A few minutes prior I noticed two unidentified crabs.  They were two hermit crabs on a turtle sea grass leaf very close together and moving up the leaf.  From their shells I first thought they were mollusks but then I noticed their blue pincers sticking out.  I am not sure what type of hermit crab has blue pincers, but they were interesting to watch.

AND OF COURSE, I saw some more blue land crabs at night.  They are really much more accustomed to humans than I had imagined they would be.  They don’t even run away when walk by or even when I run at them.

Well the benedryl I just took for the fire coral is kicking in and I’m about to sleep for days… well really only like 7 hours but thats alright.