One Last Swim

We’re arrived in Las Cuevas! There are lots of bugs and no internet, but it’s comfy.
We started the day at the ecolodge and left around 8:30. We drove about an hour to this place called Rio-on Pools, which is essentially exactly what it sounds like. It’s a slow moving river that winds through this area and forms these pools of water and waterfalls.
It was really fun to swim around and climb on the granite slabs. We took some really cute photos on the rocks and group photos in front of the beautiful pine forest background. It was our last swimming experience, which is a little sad, but it was a good way to end!
Rio-On Pools
We drove for two more hours and arrived at Las Cuevas. We played games in the van as a group, and that was a super fun bonding experience! Once we got moved in and briefed at Las Cuevas, we took a short hike on the trails through the forest.
I saw several epiphytes! In addition to the Tillandsia and Aechmea bromeliads I had seen before, we saw two species of orchids with flowers! I’ve included photos, and I will work on identification with the book. We saw at least one more species of orchid with no flowers.
Unidentified Orchid 1
Unidentified Orchid 2
There are several Mayan ruins scattered throughout the nearby rainforest, but they are unexcavated and overgrown. We got to climb up the side of one of the pyramids. It was fun to climb so high!
The first day in the forest was a success, and I hope tomorrow is just as cool!