Ready, Set, Belize!

It’s almost time to leave for Belize and I’m so excited! I actually went to Belize with my family last summer. We stayed at a resort in the rainforest and had lots of cool experiences. I’m still really excited about this trip though. I can’t wait to do research and actually see the reef.

The prospect of doing research is probably what I’m most excited about for this trip. I definitely plan to major in ecology and evolutionary biology, but this class seems like a really great way to get some actual field research experience. I’ve been to the side of a few highways looking for bugs which is technically field research, but I don’t think will be anything like this trip. I think this experience could really help me figure out what I want to do in EBIO and in grad school in the future.

To prepare I’ve been reading my Belize book and researching for my taxon and topic lectures. I’m a little bit nervous that I’ve researched the wrong thing, perhaps I included a bunch of animals we won’t see or completely missed some species we’ll see everywhere, but I suppose it will just be a chance to learn more about the native fauna.