Day 5: Collecting pitfall traps and more grasshoppers!

Today we collected our vials from the pitfall traps that we set up yesterday. On our hike, we saw a Toucan and most excitingly, a Morelet’s Tree Frog! Once we grouped all the arthropods into different morphospecies and analyzed our data, we made a poster and presented it to Scott and Amanda.

Morelet’s tree frog

I saw a few more grasshopper nymphs which often form small groups which is why I see several on one leaf most of the time.

A grasshopper nymph. There is only one here, but there are often multiple grouped on one leaf.
A large grasshopper in the Acrididae family and maybe in the Schistocerca genus.

In the afternoon, I saw a grasshopper in the Acrididae family that at first reminded me of the Giant Red-Wing Grasshopper (Tropidacris cristata) because of its large size, and yellowish red hindwings. After looking more closely, I don’t think it is one because the shape of the pronotum, the plate like structure below the head, and the eye look different than the Giant Red-Wing Grasshoppers I have researched. Instead, I think it is in Schistocerca genus.