PRE-DEPARTURE PREPARATION & EXCITEMENT

Hi my name is Maegan Aljure and I feel so excited and thankful to be part of Rice University’s first tropical field biology trip to Belize since the pandemic.

After reading about Belize’s fauna and flora, I expect to be amazed at biodiversity of creatures we encounter as well as admire the beauty of the rainforests at Las Cuevas Research Station and coral reefs at Glover’s Reef. I have lived on an atoll in the Marshall Islands for most of my childhood. This has enabled me to see many marine organisms while snorkeling, and has inspired me to continue to learn about these ecosystems and a desire to protect them. I am not familiar with many of the Caribbean species of fish, but I am excited to expand my current knowledge. I’m also thrilled about the opportunity to hike through the rainforest!

I researched beetles and hydroids for this trip. I have learned a lot about these creatures including the important roles they play in their ecosystems which as given me a new respect and love for these animals. Hydroids have stung me before in the ocean, but now I know that their goal is not to sting people- but to catch food.  I am very excited, but I am also nervous about lacking in field biology experience and I am worried about being overheated in the climate. I hope that the data I record in Belize will help me decide on my career path and contribute to current conservation efforts.  I am already packing all of my required supplies in anticipation for this amazing trip! I can’t wait to share all our experiences! I’ll see you all in Belize!