Some Firsts on the Last Reef Day

Today marks our last full day at Glover’s Reef Research Station. Tomorrow morning we will be all packed up and piling into a boat back to Belize City after breakfast.

This morning, we fittingly started our last reef day by snorkeling and collecting our last data points on the patch reefs. The data collection went smoothly enough, but I think the real highlight of my day was seeing TWO Caribbean Reef Squid (during our last for-funsies snorkel). Huge shoutout to Ruth for calling them to my attention.

After dinner, we dissected the three (invasive) lionfish that were speared during the week. I never thought I would be excited about digging through fish guts, but I was actually giddy about seeing three tiny in-tact fish in our lionfish’s stomach (lionfish engulf their prey whole)!

Even though these fish are invasive, and removing them from the reef is a positive service, we still can’t be wasteful. So, of course, we made lionfish ceviche for a late-night snack! The fish is currently curing in the lime juice, and the taste is TBD. Will update soon. 😉