Back on land!

Today was sleepy. I took a dramamine to help with the 3+ hour boat ride from glovers reef back to Belize City, but the drowsiness side effect ended up meaning I slept most of the boat ride.

When we got back to Belize City I got to experience some very nice local snapper at a dockside restaurant, before we went to a convenience store where I restocked on bug repellent and other goodies.

After that we took a bus ride to the tropical education center, a lodge and education center attached to the Belize Zoo. We heard an amazing lecture from one of the leading Scarlet Macaw experts both about his work studying the nesting range ect of scarlet Macaw’s his experience trying to conserve them, and also his experience with the intersection of science and politics and public opinion which was perhaps the most interesting part!

Finally, that night we got to see all the nocturnal animals at the Belize Zoo on a tour! We saw everything from Jaguar’s to crocodiles, with one of my favorites being the Bairds Tapir (Belize’s National Animal) that had a very drippy and long flexible nose that it could wiggle every which way to try and get at the carrot in my hand!

We didn’t see any cockroaches today, probably because we stayed on relatively paved areas and did not get into any leaf litter or natural floor covering. We did see what someone thought was a cockroach in the bathroom, but I could tell it was not a cockroach as it did not have a pronoun (the head covering of a cockroach.) The beetles person thought it might be a type of Scarab!

Thank you Ava for taking this picture!