Day 11 – Ants!!! (and a few butterfly catchings)

Today we opened leaf cutter ant colonies and laid out pitfall traps for Arthropoda in the canopy and on the forest floor. While laying out our pitfall traps, we were able to see two moths which had been infected with ophiocorticeps fungi! This fungi infects the host, hijacks its nervous system and causes it to move to a preferable location, then kills it and sprouts out of its body to release its spores!

[[[[[[zombie moth pic will be inserted later]]]]]]]]]

Near the research station, we opened up two leaf cutter ant colonies and were able to see the fungus farms on the inside! The first colony we opened was only about a year old, and we were able to take out the queen. She had a massive swollen body and was around 2 inches long. I learned how to pick up the soldier ants in the second colony and was able to capture a few. I let one bite my nail and a callus on my hand to see its biting power. I also let it bit a small hole in my shirt for a souvenir!

Between the two ant colonies, while digging, Michael came across a Mexican Burrowing Toad. This toad is quite difficult to spot, as it is generally burrowed underground. Its body is wide and flat, with red spots. It had pretty short appendages and basically no neck – making it look both incredibly goofy and cute.

After dinner, we went on a night hike to the dried up frog pond. This was the coolest experience I have had in Belize so far! We were able to see 2 endangered Morrelets Tree Frogs, one of which hopped onto my shoulder! We also saw a snake climb a bush and find and eat a clump of tree frog eggs! Elena spotted a second snake behind this one while we were watching it, which led to us finding an additional 5 snakes in the canopy above us!!

Enjoying every second here in the rainforest!

– Ava